As recruitment specialists, we at FPSG deal with your CVs daily and have become experts in knowing what makes for a stand out CV.
Follow our ten steps to ensure you get noticed:
1. Make sure you can be easily contacted – ensure you clearly state your landline, mobile and email addresses and where appropriate state your preferred method of contact.
2. Create your brand – include a paragraph summarising your abilities and experience, what you are, and anything which makes you stand out from the crowd.
3. Be concise – avoid story-telling and stick to the main facts a recruiter will want to see. Use bullet points to create lists and try to keep your CV to a maximum of 2 pages of A4.
4. Training – mention any training you have had which is pertinent to your role. Employers like to see you are keeping up to date with current legislation and so on.
5. Education – highlight your highest level of education and any special achievements during your academic career
6. Avoid embellishments – a CV should reflect your professionalism by using simple fonts and lay out.
7. Keep your structure simple and easy to follow – recruiters need to be able to review your CV and match your skills with their requirements quickly. Make their job a bit easier by keeping your structure simple and concise.
8. IT and technical skills – for roles that require specific IT or technical skills, make sure you list your achievements clearly
9. Avoid jargon – don’t use any technical speak which is specific to your current role or company.
10. Sell yourself – list any achievements or initiatives within your career which have improved efficiencies or saved your employer money.
If you need support to find your perfect role, email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org